Death On The High Seas Attorneys

If you have lost a loved one while they were working offshore you may have a claim against the person or company responsible. If the accident was the result of negligence or unseaworthiness, you may be able to file a claim under the Death on the High Seas Act (DOHSA) to recover the compensation you deserve after the loss of a loved one.

DOHSA covers any death occurring more than 3 nautical miles from the shore of any State. A claim governed by DOHSA is different from a claim for wrongful death that can be brought under state law. You need an attorney experienced in maritime law to represent you and your family to make sure you receive all of the damages available to you.

Under DOHSA, only the personal representative of the deceased individual can bring a claim, and that action is pursued on behalf of a spouse, children, parent or other financially dependent relative of the decedent. Damages available under DOHSA include loss of financial support, medical bills, burial and funeral costs, and loss of household services.

If you have suffered the loss of a loved one working offshore, contact the attorneys at The Callahan Law Firm for a free case evaluation. Understanding your legal rights can be difficult, especially in times of hardship and loss. We are proven trial lawyers and negotiators who represent families who have lost family members offshore due to the negligence of others. To discuss the issues and associated claim without obligation or risk, please call or e-mail our firm now.