While services like Uber and Lyft promote ridesharing as a safe and convenient transportation option, it is important to acknowledge that even their drivers can make mistakes and be involved in auto accidents. In unfortunate instances when this happens, it is the passengers who may bear the brunt of serious injuries.
As you pursue your injury claim, you may feel overwhelmed by the complexities in making a claim as a result of a rideshare accident involving companies like Uber or Lyft.
The Callahan Law Firm has more than 25 years of experience helping victims who have been injured in auto accidents. Many of those people were harmed in a crash with an Uber, Lyft or other rideshare driver. If you have been injured in an accident caused by a rideshare service, contact our Houston Uber and Lyft accident lawyers today.
We offer a free case consultation, and we are available to answer any questions you may have. Contact us online or call us today.
How Does an Insurance Claim Work in Rideshare Accidents?
When people are injured during an Uber or Lyft ride, they may believe that compensation should be relatively straightforward. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case. Your recovery will depend on many factors, including who is liable for the accident.
An insurance claim from a rideshare accident may raise these questions:
- Were you a passenger riding in an Uber or Lyft rideshare vehicle at the time of the collision or were you hit by a rideshare vehicle?
- Were you the one who requested the ride or are you a passenger with that person? If you are the one who requested the ride through the Lyft or Uber app, your Lyft or Uber accident claim may be subject to arbitration because of the fine print in the contract when the ride was called and then accepted. If you did not request the ride but are a passenger along with the person who requested the ride, your claim will likely not be subject to arbitration but instead can be litigated in court if necessary. Either way, we can help.
- If you were hit by the Lyft or Uber driver, did the rideshare driver have a passenger, or was the driver on the way to pick up a passenger? This is one of the most important questions about a rideshare accident. If the driver had a passenger or was on their way to pick up a passenger, then the rideshare accident will likely be covered by Uber’s or Lyft’s liability insurance. That insurance coverage is typically up to $1 million dollars.
- Was the driver on the app and waiting for a ride request when the crash happened? In this situation, you may also be covered. However, Uber and Lyft’s liability insurance policy amounts may be lower if the driver was transporting a passenger or going to get one. If the driver was only on the app, then the amounts covered may only go up to $100,000 per accident. That coverage includes $50,000 for liability on bodily injury and $25,000 for property damage. If you have suffered a serious injury, these amounts may only begin to cover your costs. It is important to have an experienced rideshare accident lawyer who understands Uber and Lyft accident coverages.
- What if the driver doesn’t have the app on? In a case like this, Uber and Lyft do not provide any coverage for the accident. The driver’s personal car insurance should apply. In these cases, it is essential to determine whether the driver was logged in, what insurance they have, and what your options for recovery may be.
The driver’s app status at the time of the rideshare accident can have a tremendous impact on your recovery. The companies and their insurers will most likely try to fight your claim, or attempt to minimize your recovery by denying the claim or by lowballing you. If you have been injured in an Uber accident or a Lyft accident, get the advice of a rideshare car accident lawyer as soon as you can.
Demanding Compensation After a Houston Uber Accident
After a rideshare accident, a Houston Uber and Lyft accident attorney can help you pursue the compensation you deserve, including:
- Payment of medical bills for past care as well as necessary future medical care
- Lost wages and harm to your future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment
- Emotional distress for the psychological harm you may have suffered
- Loss of enjoyment of the activities you love
- Damaged property including vehicles and personal possessions
- Punitive damages in cases where your injuries were caused by extreme recklessness or disregard for your safety
After an Uber or Lyft accident, it is crucial to get the advice and knowledge of an experienced rideshare accident lawyer. A lawyer can advise you on the types of compensation you may be entitled to and help you build the strongest claim possible.
Time Limit for Filing an Uber Lawsuit in Houston
Under Texas law, people injured in a rideshare accident that happened in Texas typically have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. That means that if you make a liability claim based on negligence against Uber, Lyft, or another responsible party for your injuries and damages, you only have two years to investigate the claim, develop the case, negotiate with insurers, settle your claims, or if the claims cannot be settled, then file a proper lawsuit. That is a challenging amount of work with little time to complete it.
If you have been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, contact a Houston Uber and Lyft accident attorney today to immediately get the process started.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in an Uber or Lyft Car Accident
After an accident, these steps can help you protect yourself and your claim:
- Call emergency services and check everyone for injuries. Even if no one seems to be hurt at the time or immediately after, many injuries can be internal and may take time to appear. Stay calm at the scene and wait for emergency services to arrive.
- Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries, if possible. These photos can be a vital piece of evidence for your accident claim. This includes pictures of the vehicles, your injuries, skid marks, debris, and any other details that may be important.
- Do not discuss the accident with the driver or anyone else at the scene. Too often, people talk about the accident or make inaccurate statements. Accident victims may think they caused the accident when that is not the case. Anything that you say to others at the accident scene could be misunderstood or used against you.
- Contact a Houston rideshare accident lawyer. An experienced Houston Uber accident lawyer can advise you on the next steps and help you build your claim.
How Houston Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyers in Houston Can Help You
A rideshare accident lawyer can help you:
- Deal with all the paperwork that goes into developing your claim
- Gather important evidence and investigate the crash
- Help you determine who was at fault and who is responsible for your injuries
- Explain the law around your claim and your options for recovery
- Determine the insurance amounts applicable to your claim
- Negotiate with insurance and rideshare companies
- File a lawsuit in court, if necessary, and fight for your recovery
At The Callahan Law Firm, we stand up for victims who have been injured in rideshare accidents. Our veteran Lyft & Uber accident attorneys have more than 25 years of experience helping injured clients just like you. We understand what goes into building a strong rideshare accident claim, and will help you determine who was responsible for the accident so you can get the justice you deserve.
Who is Responsible for a Houston Rideshare Accident?
Figuring out who is responsible for a rideshare accident can be an intimidating task, but it’s not impossible, especially with the help of an attorney from an experienced personal injury law firm. However, having your own understanding of liability is helpful as well so you know what to expect and what to look for. Below, we break down some of the various parties that could be held accountable in vehicle accidents involving Uber or Lyft:
- The Rideshare Driver: If the rideshare driver is found to be at fault, they may be held responsible for the accident. One of the key factors in determining this is whether the driver was negligent at the time of the accident – for example, by speeding or driving while distracted by a cell phone or other electronic device.
- The Rideshare Company: Uber and Lyft have insurance policies that sometimes cover their drivers and passengers in the event of an accident. If it is found that the accident was the Lyft or Uber driver’s fault, the company’s insurance policy may cover the damages.
- Third-Party Drivers: If another vehicle is involved in the accident and found to be at fault, the third-party driver may be held responsible.
- Vehicle Manufacturers and Maintenance Providers: In some cases, vehicle defects or improper maintenance could contribute to the accident. In these instances, the manufacturer or maintenance provider may be held accountable.
Navigating who is liable in a rideshare accident can be complex due to varying factors involved, including the insurance policies of companies like Uber and Lyft. It’s critical to consult with a legal professional who understands current laws and regulations surrounding rideshare accidents. Fortunately, The Callahan Law Firm is here to help.
Why Choose The Callahan Law Firm as Your Uber & Lyft Accident Attorney
Navigating the legal process and obtaining the compensation you deserve after an accident involving an Uber or Lyft can be an arduous journey, which is why it’s essential to have experienced and dedicated attorneys by your side. Here are some compelling reasons to choose The Callahan Law Firm for your rideshare accident case:
At our firm, we purposefully handle a limited number of serious injury and fatality cases to ensure each client receives the attention and dedication their case deserves. By focusing on a smaller number of cases, we are better equipped to achieve justice for the people we represent.
Tens of Millions of Dollars Recovered for Clients
The Callahan Law Firm’s devotion to our clients is evident in our impressive track record of recovering tens of millions of dollars for those affected by transportation accidents.
No Fee Unless Our Accident Lawyers Recover Money in Your Case
We operate on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t owe us any attorney’s fees unless you make a financial recovery in your case. This ensures that our interests are aligned with yours, and you can trust that we will work diligently to obtain compensation on your behalf.
The process after an accident can be complicated, which is why choosing an experienced and dedicated legal team is essential for the best possible outcome.
If you’ve been involved in a Lyft or Uber car accident, take action and secure the representation you deserve by contacting The Callahan Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation with our Houston personal injury lawyers.