Sippy Cups Causing Tummy Troubles for Little Ones in Texas

Texas parents are learning sippy cups may be spill-proof but not mold proof.

Tommee Tippee Sippy Cup - Callahan Law
Products are often recalled from the shelves. But when those products affect our kids it’s particularly troubling. Companies that make children’s products should be certain their products are safe before selling or distributing them to the public.

Recently, Mayborn USA began a massive recall involving several of their sippy cups.  This recall affected 3.1 million cups. Per the Consumer Product Safety Commission the following are being recalled:

“This recall involves five types of spill-proof Tommee Tippee Sippee cups all with a removable, one-piece white valve. The five types include: First Sips Transition cup, Trainer Sippee cup, Sippee cup (including Cute Quips), Sportee bottle and Insulated Swiggle/Sippee tumblers. The plastic drinking cups have spill-proof tops, easy-grip sides with detachable handles and were sold in clear with colored lids and a variety of colors and character prints. Some of the cups include short phrases on the front of the cups including: “You Pour I’ll Fling,” or “Drink Drop Repeat.” The cups have a 7 to 10 oz. capacity and were sold for children ages 4 to 12 months.   Only Tommee Tippee Sippee cups with a removable, one-piece white valve are included in this recall.”

Why Are These Sippy Cups Being Recalled?

These cups are being recalled because of mold growth on the removable one-piece white valve inside of the cup. When kids then drink from the cup they ingest the mold and get sick. Most kids just have upset stomachs, but others are not so lucky. A recent news report from a local CBS station covered in detail the effects of the mold on young children and the number of children that have been affected by the mold growing on these cups:

“Ingestion of the mold can cause gastrointestinal symptoms and infections in those with compromised immune systems. Mayborn has received more than 3,000 reports of mold in the removable, one-piece, opaque valve of the cups, including 68 reports of children experiencing diarrhea, vomiting or other symptoms associated with drinking from a cup with mold in the valve.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOYXZE3reQ4

If your child’s health has been affected by an unsafe product, contact us today for a free case evaluation.