What Do I Do If I Have Been Involved in a Houston Car Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, it is common to feel stressed and overwhelmed. However, you can take specific steps that could help your case and your likelihood of receiving compensation, including:
- Seeking medical attention. You should always put your health and well-being first. If you are seriously injured in an accident, you will likely receive medical treatment at the scene. If you don’t, it is best to visit an emergency room or your primary care physician as soon as possible after the accident. It is equally important to follow through with your doctor’s treatment plan. Keep in mind your medical records will eventually become a crucial part of your case.
- Gathering evidence. Following an accident, begin gathering any relevant evidence or information. It may include:
- Photos and videos of the accident scene
- The other driver’s contact and insurance information
- Witness contact information
As other information becomes available, such as police reports and medical records, add those to your file and share them with your attorney.
- Avoid speaking to the other driver’s insurance company. It is very common to receive communications from the other driver’s insurance company. However, it is best to avoid speaking with them directly, as they do not have your best interests in mind. While they may appear compassionate and ask for your side of the story, they won’t hesitate to use your words against you to limit their payout. If you get a call from the insurance company, simply inform them you cannot speak to them without first consulting an attorney.
- Consulting with a qualified Houston car accident attorney. Handling a car accident claim can be stressful, but you don’t have to do it alone. Your lawyer can thoroughly investigate the crash, answer any questions you may have, and formulate a plan of action to pursue the compensation you deserve.