Houston Defective Medical Device Lawyer
We count on medical devices to support our health, protect us, and even save our lives when things go wrong. But the reality is that medical devices can have defects like any other product. And when they do, medical devices can be the very thing that hurts us.
At The Callahan Law Firm, we believe you and your health come first. If a defective medical device has injured you, you could be entitled to compensation for your losses through a product liability claim against the product’s manufacturer. For over 25 years, we’ve stood up for clients and helped them seek the financial recovery they need to cover their bills, lost income, and pain and suffering so that they can get their life back on track.
We’re committed to helping you recover and move forward after being injured by a defective medical device. That’s why there are no fees unless we win. For a free consultation about your case, give us a call or reach out to us online today.
Common Types of Defective Medical Devices in Houston
The government closely regulates the design and manufacturing of medical devices. But even with strict rules and recall procedures in place, problems still happen, and patients wind up with defective devices. That’s because many companies release products without a clear understanding of how their devices could harm you.
What types of devices are more likely to cause problems? The answer may surprise you. Some common types of defective medical devices include:
- Surgical mesh – Doctors use sheets of this mesh to secure tissue and organs after surgery. While some are designed to break up after a set amount of time, others are supposed to be permanent. But even permanent mesh can accidentally break up and spread, potentially leading to tumors, cancer, and infections.
- Hip replacements – Some hip replacements can cause significant harm. Defective hip replacements may fail or cause dangerous metals to enter the bloodstream.
- Knee replacements – Defective knee replacements can give out when you need them most, leading to swelling, pain, and further surgeries to correct the issues.
- Coronary stents – Stents can help keep arteries open. But a defective stent could lead to clots or a narrowing of the artery. That could open the door to life-threatening heart problems and other complications.
- Insulin pumps – These pumps provide life-saving insulin, but a defective device could endanger your life. They could under- or over-deliver insulin, leading to injury or even death.
- Pacemaker devices – A faulty pacemaker can cause a range of heart problems or even fail to protect you when you need it most.
- Birth control implants – Many women rely on implants for safe and effective birth control. But these implants can cause pain, infections, ovarian cysts, and many other problems.
- IVC filters – Inferior vena cava (IVC) filters can protect people’s lives at risk of clots and pulmonary embolism. But when these devices fail or break, they can enter the bloodstream and cause serious injuries or death.
If these or other defective medical devices have injured you, contact our Texas defective medical device law firm today to learn about your rights and options.
Injuries Caused by Defective Medical Devices
Medical devices can save lives when companies design and manufacture them correctly and put them through adequate testing. But too many companies don’t test their devices adequately before putting them on the market. That’s why the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) uses tools, such as post-market studies, to help ensure that devices are safe to use.
But the reality is that even good follow-up studies can’t catch all the problems. When there’s a defect in a device’s design or manufacturing, you could end up injured or worse. A few examples of injuries and side effects defective medical devices could be responsible for include:
- Heart failure
- Blood clots
- Internal bleeding
- Tissue damage
- Organ damage
- Bone damage
- Chronic pain
Compensation for Injuries from a Defective Medical Device
Following an injury, you may wind up in the hospital, away from work, and suffering long-term consequences because of someone else’s actions. But our Houston defective medical device law firm can help. We are ready to determine how a defective device harmed you, identify how your life has been affected, the extent of your losses, and how much compensation may be available in your case.
Compensation could be available for losses such as:
- The cost of medical care you need now and in the future
- Lost wages
- Damage to your future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Physical impairment
- Lost quality of life
Defective Medical Device Lawsuits
When you’re injured, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of the next steps to take. But if you need to bring a defective medical device lawsuit, our Houston defective medical device lawyers are ready to help. At The Callahan Law Firm, our legal team will take the time to get to know you and your needs, answer your questions, and help you understand your options.
As part of a Houston defective medical device lawsuit, you and your attorney may need to show:
- That there is a problem with the design of the device that makes it dangerous.
- That the medical device that you have was defectively manufactured.
- Or that the device didn’t provide enough warnings or instructions for its use.
Proving one or more of these may require detailed analysis, medical records, and many other types of evidence. While insurers and medical device companies may try to deny there is a problem or that they owe you compensation, our Houston defective medical device attorneys can stand up for you and protect your right to fair financial recovery.
Contact Our Defective Medical Devices Attorney in Houston
If a defective medical device has hurt you, contact The Callahan Law Firm. As seasoned trial lawyers with decades of experience, we take on medical device manufacturers and insurance companies to pursue the compensation our clients need. We handle a limited number of cases so that we can give you and your case the full attention you deserve.
As a defective medical device law firm in Houston, we fight for the rights of people just like you. We’re here to help you get your life back after an accident. To learn more about how our attorneys can help you, contact us now for a free consultation.