Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft promote ridesharing as a safe and convenient way to get where you need to go. While true, unfortunately, Uber and Lyft drivers can make mistakes and get into auto accidents. When they do, you can be the one who ends up getting seriously injured.
As you pursue your injury claim, you may feel overwhelmed by the complexities in making a claim as a result of a rideshare accident involving a company such as Uber or Lyft.
The Callahan Law Firm has more than 25 years of experience helping victims who have been injured in auto accidents. Some of those victims were harmed in a crash with an Uber or Lyft driver. If you have been injured in an accident caused by a rideshare service, contact our Houston Uber and Lyft accident lawyers today. We offer a free case consultation, and we are available to answer any questions you may have. Contact us online or call us today.
How Does an Insurance Claim Work in Rideshare Accidents?
When people are injured during an Uber or Lyft ride, they may believe that compensation should be relatively straightforward. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case. Your recovery will depend on many factors.
An insurance claim from a rideshare accident may raise these questions:
- Were you a passenger in the rideshare vehicle at the time of the collision or were you hit by a rideshare vehicle?
- Were you the one who requested the ride or are you a passenger with that person? If you are the one who requested the ride, your injury claim may be subject to arbitration because of the fine print in the contract when the ride was called then accepted. If you did not request the ride but are a passenger along with the person who requested the ride, your claim will likely not be subject to arbitration but instead can be litigated in court if necessary. Either way, we can help.
- If you were hit by the rideshare driver, did the rideshare driver have a passenger, or was the driver on the way to pick up a passenger? This is one of the most important questions about a rideshare accident. If the driver had a passenger or was on their way to pick up a passenger, then the rideshare accident will likely be covered by Uber’s or Lyft’s liability insurance. That insurance coverage is typically up to $1 million dollars.
- Was the driver on the app and waiting for a ride request when the crash happened? In this situation, you may also be covered. However, Uber and Lyft’s liability amounts may be lower than it would be if the driver was transporting a passenger or going to get one. If the driver was only on the app, then the amounts covered may only go up to $100,000 per accident. That coverage includes $50,000 for liability on bodily injury and $25,000 for property damage. If you have suffered a serious injury, these amounts may only begin to cover your costs. It is important to have an experienced rideshare accident lawyer who understands Uber and Lyft accident coverages.
- What if the driver doesn’t have the app on? In a case like this, Uber and Lyft do not provide any coverage for the accident. The driver’s personal car insurance should apply. In these cases, it is essential to determine whether the driver was logged in, what insurance they have, and what your options for recovery may be.
The driver’s app status at the time of the rideshare accident can have a tremendous impact on your recovery. The companies and their insurers will most likely try to fight your claim, and at least try to minimize your recovery by denying the claim or by lowballing you. If you have been injured in an Uber accident or a Lyft accident, get the advice of a rideshare accident lawyer as soon as you can.
Demanding Compensation After a Lyft or Uber Accident in Houston
After a rideshare accident, a Houston Uber and Lyft accident attorney can help you pursue the compensation you deserve, including:
- Payment of medical bills for past care as well as necessary future medical care
- Lost wages and harm to your future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment
- Emotional distress for the psychological harm you may have suffered
- Loss of enjoyment of the activities you love
- Damaged property including vehicles and personal possessions
- Punitive damages in cases where your injuries were caused by extreme recklessness or disregard for your safety
After an Uber or Lyft accident, it is crucial to get the advice and knowledge of an experienced rideshare accident lawyer. A lawyer can advise you on the types of compensation you may be entitled to and help you build the strongest claim possible.
Time Limit for Filing an Uber Lawsuit in Houston
Under Texas law, victims injured in a rideshare accident that happened it Texas typically have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. That means if you must file sue Uber, Lyft, or another responsible party for your injuries and damages, you only have two years to investigate the claim, develop the case, negotiate with insurers, and file your lawsuit in court. That is a challenging amount of work with little time to complete it.
If you have been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, contact a Houston Uber and Lyft accident attorney today to immediately get the process started.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in an Uber or Lyft Accident
After an accident, these steps can help you protect yourself and your claim:
- Call emergency services and check everyone for injuries. Even if no one seems to be hurt at the time or immediately after, many injuries can be internal and may take time to appear. Stay calm at the scene and wait for emergency services to arrive.
- Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries, if possible. These photos can be a vital piece of evidence for your accident claim. This includes pictures of the vehicles, your injuries, skid marks, debris, and any other details that may be important.
- Do not discuss the accident with the driver or anyone else at the scene. Too often, people talk about the accident or make inaccurate statements. Accident victims may think they caused the accident when that is not the case. Anything that you say to others at the accident scene could be misunderstood or used against you.
- Contact a Houston rideshare accident lawyer. An experienced Houston lawyer can advise you on the next steps and help you build your claim.
How a Houston Uber and Lyft Accident Attorney Can Help You
A rideshare accident lawyer can help you:
- Deal with all the paperwork that goes into developing your claim
- Gather important evidence and investigate the crash
- Help you determine who was at fault and who is responsible for your injuries
- Explain the law around your claim and your options for recovery
- Negotiate with insurance and rideshare companies
- File a lawsuit in court, if necessary, and fight for your recovery
At The Callahan Law Firm, we stand up for victims who have been injured in rideshare accidents. Our veteran rideshare accident attorneys have more than 25 years of experience helping injured clients just like you. We understand what goes into building a strong rideshare accident claim.
We are here and ready to help. For a free case consultation, contact us today.