Rear End Car Accident Lawyer in Houston
Were you injured in a rear end accident in Houston? If so, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, pain, emotional trauma, lost wages from time off of work, and more.
The Houston rear end collision attorneys at The Callahan Law Firm have the experience and skills to help you hold the at-fault party accountable and get you the answers and justice that you deserve.
Contact us now for a free consultation.
How Rear End Collisions Happen
Following too closely or tailgating is one of the most common causes of rear end collisions. If one driver follows another vehicle too closely, and the driver in front suddenly slows down or stops, the driver behind may not have sufficient time to brake before they slam into the back of the car in front.
Other common causes of rear end collisions in Houston include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting and talking on the phone
- Drunk or intoxicated driving
- Fatigued driving
- Reckless driving
Driver negligence plays a role in almost all rear end accidents in Houston. If a negligent driver rear ended you, you could hold them responsible through a car accident insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
Who Is at Fault in a Rear End Car Accident in Houston?
In most rear end accidents, the driver who hit the vehicle in front of them is the at-fault party. However, liability can still be challenging to prove.
If you were in a rear end collision, you would need to demonstrate that the driver who hit you was negligent in some way, which led them to cause the accident.
For example, suppose the at-fault driver who rear ended you was texting at the time of the crash. In that case, you could use evidence like cell phone records, witness testimony, or surveillance video to show that the driver was distracted before the crash.
You’ll also need to show that you suffered compensable losses because of the driver’s negligence. For instance, if you were injured in the accident and incurred medical expenses, that would be a compensable loss.
Common Injuries from a Rear End Collision Car Accident
Rear end car accidents often result in injuries, particularly if the driver who caused the accident traveled at high speed at the time of the collision.
Whiplash is one of the most common injuries in rear end accidents. Whiplash occurs when the victim’s head and neck jerk violently back and forth upon impact, causing the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in the neck and shoulders to tear. Severe neck pain and muscle spasms are often indicators of a whiplash injury.
Other common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Fractures and broken bones
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Spinal injuries and spinal cord damage
- Back injuries such as a herniated disc or injured lumbar spine
- Neck injuries
- Joint damage and soft tissue injuries
- Cuts, scrapes, and lacerations
If you were injured in the crash, you deserve a chance to pursue compensation for expenses and other losses related to your injuries.
Average Settlement for Rear End Collision Injuries
Compensation is designed to help crash victims cover costs related to their serious injuries. There is no definitive way to know exactly how much your injury case is worth without knowing the details. In general, however, the more severe your injuries are, the more compensation you might be entitled to seek.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you might be able to claim compensation for:
- Present and future medical bills, including hospital expenses, surgical costs, physical therapy expenses, prescription medication costs, and other types of medical treatment
- Lost earnings if you’re unable to get back to work while you are recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries render you temporarily or permanently disabled, and therefore unable to carry out all your typical work duties
- Pain and suffering, including physical pain, emotional anguish, mental distress, loss of quality of life, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Property damage caused by the crash, including vehicle repairs and vehicle replacement
In rare cases, a court might also award you punitive damages. To claim punitive damages, you’ll have to show that the defendant in your case was grossly negligent or malicious. This type of compensation aims to punish the defendant for their behavior and to deter them and others from similar conduct in the future.
What to Do After a Rear End Crash in Houston
If a negligent driver in Houston has rear ended you, there are several essential steps you can take to protect your rights:
- Seek medical attention. You should undergo a medical evaluation as soon as possible after the accident. Some potentially severe injuries might not show immediate symptoms. A thorough exam could allow for early detection and treatment.
- Collect evidence. If you can, take photos of your injuries, the damage to each vehicle, and the accident scene from various angles. You should also ask witnesses for their contact information.
- Gather documents. You should retain all documents related to the crash, including medical records, hospital bills, other medical expenses, evidence from the scene, the police report, proof of lost earnings or reduced earning capacity, and other documentation.
- Take notes as you recover. Keep a daily diary to record your level of physical pain and your psychological state. Markdown any activities you can’t participate in due to your injuries. Your attorney can use this record of your recovery to quantify your losses for pain and suffering and other losses.
- Don’t talk about the crash on social media. Never say anything about your case on social media or any online platform until your case resolves. Car insurance companies could use your posts out of context to contradict statements and claims.
- Consult with a rear end car accident lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced car accident attorney will have the resources to thoroughly investigate your case, quickly collect and preserve evidence to support your claim, tabulate the losses you suffered, determine liability, and negotiate a settlement with the insurance company on your behalf. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair personal injury settlement, your rear end collision lawyer can fight your case out in court.
Contact Our Houston Rear End Car Accident Lawyer Today
Were you injured in a rear end accident in the Houston area? If so, contact the attorneys at The Callahan Law Firm today to learn how we can help. Our car accident lawyers can handle every aspect of rear end accident cases while you concentrate on rebuilding your life after the crash. We will work tirelessly to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a free, no-risk consultation with our personal injury lawyers.