Hit-and-Run Accident Attorney in Houston
When hit-and-run drivers flee the scene of the crash, they leave accident victims alone to contend with painful injuries, staggering medical expenses, and other unfortunate consequences. If a hit-and-run driver injured you in Houston, you shouldn’t have to pay the price for someone else’s bad decisions.
The attorneys of The Callahan Law Firm can help you seek fair compensation for your losses after a hit-and-run so you can move on with your life after a hit-and-run accident. Contact us today to learn more in a free initial consultation.
What Is a Hit-and-Run Accident?
A hit-and-run accident occurs when a driver hits another vehicle, person, or object and then knowingly flees the scene of the accident without stopping to render assistance or provide their information. In Houston and throughout Texas, fleeing the scene of an accident is a serious offense with harsh criminal penalties.
How Can I Obtain Compensation After a Hit-and-Run Accident?
Texas is an “at-fault” state for car accident claims, which means injured parties are typically expected to file claims with the at-fault driver’s insurance company for compensation after an accident. However, it can often be difficult or impossible to locate the at-fault driver after a hit-and-run, which makes the process of claiming compensation significantly harder.
If the hit-and-run driver cannot be located, victims may have the option to file claims with their own insurance providers if they previously chose to purchase uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. UM insurance coverage is technically optional in Texas, but insurance companies must offer it to you. You must decline their offer in writing if you decide you don’t want it.
Assuming you elected to carry UM insurance, you should have at least the following minimum coverage amounts available:
- $30,000 per person for bodily injuries
- $60,000 per accident for bodily injuries
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
How Can a Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Help Me With My UM Claim?
If you are covered by a UM insurance policy, a hit-and-run accident lawyer can help you establish a solid claim, support your claim with compelling evidence, and negotiate forcefully with your insurance company for the full compensation you deserve for your losses.
If your insurance company refuses to agree to a fair payout, your attorney can also guide you through the process of filing a lawsuit and then represent you in court.
The attorneys of The Callahan Law Firm can also work hard to try to locate the hit-and-run driver who caused the accident in the first place. We can use available evidence and the information you provide about the vehicle, the nature of the accident, and the other driver to help narrow our search and track down the responsible party.
If our team can identify the hit-and-run driver, we can help you file a personal injury lawsuit against them to demand justice. In your case, you can seek compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, costs of future care, and potentially even punitive damages to punish the at-fault driver.
What to Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Houston
The actions you take immediately after a hit-and-run accident can have a massive impact on any insurance claims or lawsuits you file in the future. You can protect your rights and your ability to pursue fair compensation by:
- Remaining at the scene and calling the police immediately to report the wreck
- Taking photos or notes about the make, model, license plate number, and description of the other car
- Giving the police a physical description of the other driver and their vehicle
- Notifying your own insurance company of the accident per your policy agreement
- Seeking prompt medical care for your injuries and following your doctor’s orders
- Taking frequent notes to record your physical pain, discomfort, and limitations caused by your injuries
- Keeping track of all medical records, bills, and receipts related to the accident
- Watching what you say to others about the accident and avoiding social media activity while your claim is still pending
- Contacting a trusted hit-and-run accident lawyer as soon as possible
- Compensation for Hit-and-Run Accidents
With a successful UM claim or personal injury lawsuit, you may be able to obtain the following types of compensation for your losses after a hit-and-run accident:
- Costs of medical care – Medical expenses from things like ambulance rides, hospital stays, doctors’ visits, and prescription medications for your injuries.
- Costs of physical therapy or rehabilitation – Expenses related to any physical therapy, cognitive therapy, or rehabilitation needed to recover from your injuries.
- Costs of repairs or replacement of damaged property – Costs of vehicle repairs, replacement vehicles, or related property that needs to be fixed or replaced.
- Lost wages and earning potential – The value of lost wages from missed time at work or losses in your lifetime earning capacity if your injuries prevent you from returning to your usual job.
- Pain and suffering – The subjective cost of the physical pain and emotional suffering you endure due to the accident and accident-related injuries.
Common Causes of Houston Hit-and-Run Accidents
Houston drivers may choose to flee the scene of an accident for a variety of reasons, but some of the most common causes of hit-and-run accidents include:
- Drunk or drugged driving – A driver may flee the scene if they are over the legal limit or using illicit drugs and hoping to avoid being arrested for DWI.
- Uninsured motorists – Drivers may hit and run if they are at fault for an accident and lack the proper insurance to pay for the damage or injuries they caused.
- Outstanding warrants or tickets – A driver may flee the scene if they have outstanding arrest warrants or prior traffic tickets and wish to evade the police.
- No driver’s license – Motorists with a suspended or revoked licenses may flee the scene to avoid citations.
- Other legal problems – Some drivers hit and run because of other legal issues, such as parole violations or unauthorized presence in the United States.
- Panicked drivers – A driver may flee the scene out of pure panic when their “fight or flight” reflex is triggered by extreme stress in the moments after a wreck.
Contact a Houston Hit-and-Run Accident Attorney
To discuss the details of your Houston hit-and-run accident claim with a knowledgeable attorney, contact The Callahan Law Firm today for a free initial case review.