Drunk driving accidents can leave you or a loved one with a lifetime of injuries in a matter of seconds. Severe injuries such as, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, scarring, and many others can take away the life you love. Serious injuries from a drunk driving accident can also cost you the ability to earn a living. That is why it is so important to have an experienced Houston drunk driving accident lawyer on your side.
The attorneys at The Callahan Law Firm understand how a drunk driving accident can change your life. We have more than 25 years of experience helping those who have been injured by drunk drivers in Houston and throughout the State of Texas. We work tirelessly to hold drunk drivers responsible for their actions, and we help our clients get the recovery they need after the accident.
If you have a drunk driving accident injury, contact us today for a free case evaluation. When you need help, we are available online or by phone.
Understanding Liability in Drunk Driving Accidents
The first step in a drunk driving accident case is to understand who may be held responsible for your injuries. It is clear the drunk driver is responsible for your injuries. But it is important to understand that other parties may also be liable for the accident. In fact, the parties who served the driver alcohol may also be held responsible.
- Driver liability – When you are on the road, you are responsible for the actions you take in your vehicle and any collisions you cause. In a drunk driving accident, the intoxicated driver who caused the accident may be held liable. That fact may seem obvious, but liability may also extend to other parties if they allowed the drunk driver to operate their vehicle knowing he was intoxicated.
In many drunk driving accidents, the parties who caused the accident may refuse to take responsibility. If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident, it is critical to have an experienced Houston drunk driving accident attorney on your side. The attorney can help you build your claim and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
- Dram shop liability in Texas – In Texas, those who sell or give alcohol to a drunk driver may be held responsible if that driver causes an accident. Chapter 2 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code states that bars and other establishments may be held liable if they provide alcohol to minors, if they provide alcohol to an obviously intoxicated person, and if the person’s intoxication was a proximate cause of the damages.
If you were injured in a drunk driving accident, you need to consider who provided alcohol to the driver and what that means for your claim. An experienced drunk driving accident lawyer who knows Texas law can help. The attorney can investigate parties beyond the driver who may be responsible for your injuries and how they might be held responsible.
- Investigating the cause of the accident and who provided alcohol to the driver
- Negotiating with insurers about your compensation
- Taking care of the paperwork generated by a drunk driving accident
- Advocating for the compensation you need
- Fighting for you and the recovery you deserve in court, if necessary
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Emotional distress
- Physical impairment
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
- A criminal case is brought by the state against a drunk driver for a violation of a criminal law. Criminal cases exist to protect the public and to punish the guilty. Even if someone is not found guilty in a criminal drunk driving case, you can still bring a civil case against them for your injuries.
- A civil case is brought by the person who was injured in the accident, or the surviving family of the person who did survive the crash. The point of a civil case is to help make victims whole by providing them with compensation for their injuries, losses and damages. If you suffered an injury in a drunk driving case, a civil case can help you hold the driver and other responsible parties accountable for your injuries and damages. A civil case will allow you to recover the compensation you need.
- Call the police and emergency services.
- Collect the contact and insurance information of the other driver and collect the contact details of any witnesses.
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene, the vehicles, and any evidence that seems important.
- Seek medical treatment and evaluation.
- Contact a Houston drunk driving injury lawyer.
How a Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Can Help With Your Case
A drunk driving accident can be a chaotic, painful and stressful time for you. During this time, you need to focus on your recovery and healing. As you recover, a drunk driving accident attorney can help with your case by:
Compensation for Injuries After a Drunk Driving Accident
After a drunk driving accident, you may be entitled to compensation for:
Time Limit for Filing a Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit in Houston
If you need to file a drunk driving accident lawsuit for an accident that happened in Texas, the general rule is that you have two years from the date of the accident to do so. That means you will have two years to investigate the accident, build your claim, , track down responsible parties, negotiate with the insurance company and try to resolve the claim if possible, and prepare and file the lawsuit if needed.
These deadlines are strict. That is why it is important to have an experienced Houston drunk driving accident lawyer on your side as soon as possible. Any delay in hiring an attorney will delay investigation of your claim as well as the collection and preservation of critical evidence, and can harm your ability to get full justice and compensation for your injuries.
Difference Between a Criminal and a Civil Case Against a Drunk Driver
Criminal and civil cases are two very different types of cases:
What to Do If You’ve Been in an Accident with a Drunk Driver
After a drunk driving accident, take these steps to protect yourself:
Talk to a Houston Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Now
If you have been hurt in a drunk driving accident, contact The Callahan Law Firm today. We have been representing people injured by drunk drivers for more than 25 years. We are ready to help you. Contact us online or by phone today.