Back Injury from Car Accident Lawsuits in Houston, TX
If you are injured in a Houston car accident, there is a good chance you will experience back pain. Symptoms may develop immediately after the accident or take one or more days to appear. And if you were injured in a car accident in Houston or the metropolitan area that was not your fault, you could be entitled to compensation for the injuries you sustained.
The Houston car accident attorneys at The Callahan Law Firm understand crash-related back injuries. We have more than a quarter century of experience fighting for the rights of people who have suffered injuries in car accidents that weren’t their fault. We have the skills, resources, and dedication to effectively handle your claim and pursue the compensation you are legally entitled to for your injuries.
We encourage you to take this opportunity to discuss your situation with our lawyers for free. Contact us now to find out how we can help you. We are available anytime, day or night.
How Common Is Back Pain After a Car Crash in Houston?
If you experience back pain after a car accident, you are not alone. A study in the public health journal Accident Analysis and Prevention found that back pain after a car accident, specifically low back sprains and strains, is among the most common injuries experienced in traffic collisions. The Insurance Research Council reported a 58% rate of lower back pain occurring among people injured in car accidents nationwide.
What Causes Back Injuries in Car Crashes?
The impact of a car crash can impart violent forces on the delicate structures of the back. Even with seatbelts and airbags, a car accident can suddenly and violently jolt, twist, bend, and impact occupants’ bodies. Many factors affect the severity of back injuries sustained in car accidents, including the speed at which the vehicles were traveling, the angle of impact, the type and size of the vehicles involved, and the location of the impact on each vehicle.
Types of Back Injuries from Car Accidents
Medical professionals report seven types of common back injuries suffered in car accidents:
- Spinal fracture– A spinal fracture occurs if one or more of the vertebrae in the back break, shatter, or otherwise crack.
- Back sprain or strain– A back strain is a soft tissue injury to the ligaments, tendons or muscle in the back.
- Herniated disc – This type of back injury is a condition where the inner part of a spinal cord disc pushes through its outer ring. A herniated disc may cause numbness, tingling or shooting pain into extremities such as the arms or legs.
- Spondylolisthesis – This injury occurs when a vertebra is displaced or slips out place. The pain level and subsequent treatment options are dictated by the area affected and the amount of displacement.
- Facet joint injuries –Facet joints are located between spinal bones and allow the body to bend and twist without causing damage to the spine. These types of injuries are often compounded by the age-related thinning of cartilage.
- Discogenic pain –Damage to vertebral discs can present as discogenic pain, a sharp or shooting pain in the back that can be so severe as to become debilitating.
- Degenerative spinal disorders –The blunt-force trauma of a car accident combined with the degeneration that comes with the natural aging process could result in bulging discs, herniated discs, and other conditions in the spine.
Symptoms of Back Pain
Although people can experience back pain differently, some common symptoms often appear. If you were recently in a car accident, any of the following symptoms might suggest you suffered a back injury:
- Tingling or numbness– Pinched nerves or nerve impingement can result in numbness, tingling or pain into the arms and hands, or legs and feet.
- Back spasms– Spasms are painful contractions and tightening of the muscles. Muscle spasms are involuntary and unpredictable, and are evidence of a back injury.
- Stiffness– Tensed muscles might leave a car accident victim feeling rigid or simply not as flexible as before the accident.
- Burning – A person injured in a car crash may experience a burning sensation that radiates from the back into the arms or legs.
- Difficulty walking or standing – Difficulty standing, walking or performing daily activities because of back pain following a car accident are common symptoms of a back injury following a car accident.
The severity of your back pain following a car accident depends on the nature of the accident. Keeping a journal about how you feel daily after the accident and what activities you can do can be helpful if you pursue a back injury claim or file a lawsuit.
Common Car Accidents That Cause Back Injuries
According to Forbes, the accidents most likely to cause back injuries are:
- Rear-end accidents– If another vehicle strikes your car from behind, you may experience whiplash, injury to your cervical spine, low back or lumbar injury, or possible spinal cord damage as a result of the impact.
- Side-impact accidents– Severe neck injuries and back injuries can be caused by a side-impact accident. The force of the impact can cause sudden, abrupt twisting or jolting from side to side resulting in injury.
- Front–impact accidents– The severe force unleashed by a frontal impact could tear or herniate a spinal cord disc as your head and neck are jolted forward and backward.
Compensation Available in Houston Car Crash Back Injury Claims
You may be entitled to compensation from the person or company at fault for the accident that injured you. The Houston back injury lawyers at The Callahan Law Firm can help you by investigating the crash, compiling evidence to establish liability, calculating the full extent of your losses, and pursuing compensation through an insurance claim and when necessary, a lawsuit, against the at-fault parties.
A successful settlement or trial verdict could provide you with money for your:
- Medical expenses, including for physical therapy, diagnostic studies such as x-rays and MRIs, surgery, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and reduced future earning capacity
- Physical impairment
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Contact a Houston Back Pain Lawyer at The Callahan Law Firm
Are you dealing with back pain after a car crash in Houston? Was someone else to blame for the accident? If so, The Callahan Law Firm can help you demand the money you need to pay for your medical treatment, offset any lost wages, and compensate you for the pain you’ve suffered.
Reach out to us today for a free consultation with a Houston back pain lawyer. We’re ready to listen to your story and start pursuing compensation at no upfront cost to you.