Unsecured Truck Load Lawyer in Houston
When a truck hauls improperly secured cargo, an accident is just waiting to happen. When unsecured cargo shifts in the truck, the movement can suddenly disrupt the truck’s center of gravity and cause the driver to lose control. Shifting cargo can even cause a tractor-trailer to roll over or jackknife, which is a serious threat to everyone on the road. What’s more, loose cargo can spill onto the pavement, creating hazards for other drivers.
Accidents caused by unsecured truckloads can cause significant injuries and significant financial losses. In a few tragic cases, this type of accident can even result in fatalities.
If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by unsecured cargo, call The Callahan Law Firm today. Our Houston truck accident team is ready to review your case, explain your legal options, and help you pursue the compensation you’re due. We’ve been fighting on behalf of people in Houston for more than 25 years. We’ve helped our clients secure significant compensation during that time.
Get your free initial consultation today by calling our Houston office or by filling out our contact form.
Truck Crashes Caused by Unsecured Loads
Unsecured load accidents are more common than you might think. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reports unsecured loads caused 1,450 crashes statewide in a single recent year. Five of these truck crashes resulted in at least one fatality, and 18 crashes resulted in serious injuries. In addition, there were 167 crashes in which someone sustained a “non-incapacitating” injury or possible injury.
Something Fell Off a Truck and Hit My Car – Now What?
It can be hard to keep a clear head after being involved in an unsecured truck load accident. Nevertheless, do your best to stay calm and take the following steps:
- Call 911 immediately. You may need medical assistance. If the truck didn’t stop, give the 911 dispatcher the best description you can. Police may be able to locate the offending vehicle. You will want law enforcement to come and investigate the accident. They will write their findings, and you can use their accident report to support your claim later on.
- Take pictures of the scene if you can. If you can’t, do your best to see if someone can take some pictures for you. Photos from the crash scene can help the police and your legal team piece together what happened in the accident. That is crucial when trying to determine who may be liable for your injuries.
- See a doctor and then follow their orders. It’s essential to have your injuries examined by a medical professional. Then, be sure to also attend all of your follow-up appointments, follow your treatment plan, and get the rest you need to heal.
- Save all your medical records and bills related to the accident. This information is essential for documenting your injuries and maximizing your potential compensation.
- Stay off of social media. It may be tempting to talk about the accident and your injuries on social media, but doing so could seriously jeopardize your claim. The other side could take the information you post out of context and use it against you.
- Talk to a lawyer. Truck accident claims are much more complicated than other accident claims for many reasons including the fact that there can be multiple liable parties. The sooner you speak with a truck accident lawyer, the sooner they can start working to gather and preserve critical evidence you’ll need to get the justice you deserve.
Proving Liability in an Unsecured Truck Load Accident in Houston
To get full compensation for your injuries and damages after an unsecured load accident, you’ll need the right evidence to support your claim. Important evidence in these types of claims include:
- Police accident report
- Witness statements
- Dashcam and Bodycam video
- Photos from the crash scene and the vehicles involved
- Data from the truck’s electronic data recorder
- Surveillance video
- Truck driver’s logs
- Records from the driver’s employer
- Cargo manifest records including bills of lading
- Truck, trailer, and load inspection records
- Truck and trailer maintenance records
- Testimony from expert witnesses such as an accident reconstructionist
That’s a lot of evidence to gather, and it’s hard to do it yourself when you’ve just been badly injured. A truck accident attorney can take steps to secure and collect evidence on your behalf while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
Another complicating factor in unsecured load accidents is that there are often multiple responsible parties. That means you need to identify those entities and gather evidence to support a claim against those responsible. Here are some of the potentially liable parties in an unsecured load accident:
- Truck driver
- Motor carrier
- Broker of the load
- The company that loaded the cargo
These entities and their insurers will put up an intense fight when you make a claim and try to recover compensation for your injuries. An unsecured load accident attorney can help you fight back and seek justice.
Average Settlement Amount for Truck Accidents
Many factors determine how much compensation you could receive for your injuries after an unsecured load accident. That makes it difficult to say what an “average” settlement is. How much you could recover depends on the available evidence, the extent of your injuries, the insurance coverage available, and other circumstances that vary from case to case.
With the right evidence and the right legal team, however, you could potentially recover compensation for:
- Your past and future medical bills
- Your lost wages
- Your diminished capacity to work and earn a living
- Your physical pain
- Your physical impairment
- Your emotional anguish
- Any disfigurement
It’s important to know that you can receive compensation for your injuries even if you are found to have some responsibility for the accident. In Texas, personal injury claims use a modified comparative negligence model to determine fault. That means as long as you are not more than 50 percent responsible for causing the incident or your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation.
If it’s determined that you are partially responsible, your compensation will be reduced according to your percentage of responsibility.
How Can a Semi-Trailer Truck Accident Attorney in Houston, TX, Help Me?
Here are a few ways our Houston semi-trailer accident team can help after you’ve been in a crash:
- Gather and preserve essential evidence
- Help you get the medical treatment you need
- Communicate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Handle all court filings and proceedings
- Negotiate with the various liable parties for a fair resolution of your claim
- Litigate your case and present it to a jury should settlement negotiations fail
Texas has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims. Be sure to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to discuss how this affects your claim.
Contact Our Experienced Houston Unsecured Truck Load Lawyer Today
The team at The Callahan Law Firm has successfully helped people injured in truck accidents get justice and the compensation they deserve for over 25 years. Let us help you with your case and pursue the financial relief you’ve been looking for.
Call our Houston office today or fill out our contact form to get a free case review.